- Center the first cake onto your cake board or plate. Coat the top generously with white buttercream frosting.
- Center the second cake on top of the first one, and frost the sides of the cake. Smooth evenly. If crumbs appear, use a toothpick to get them out, then re-smooth the frosting.
- Frost the top of the cake generously with buttercream, making sure to "meet" the frosting on the sides, and smooth as much as possible. Let set for about 5 minutes.
- Starting with the sides of the cake, use a paper towel to smooth out any remaining imperfections in the frosting. Simply lay the paper towel against the frosting and gently rub your hand over it to smooth the frosting. Once the sides are smooth, move on to the top, using special care when smoothing the edges where the top and sides meet.
- Fill a decorating bag with white frosting and fit with a #3 tip. Pipe scroll designs and dots over the top of the cake. No real secret here...just make some swirly random designs and dots and it'll look great!
- Change the tip on the bag to a #5 tip and pipe dots around the top edge of the cake. Let set for about 5 minutes, then use the tip of a butter knife to "tap down" the points on the beads so they'll have a more round appearance.
- Cut decorating ribbon to a length long enough to wrap the circumference of the cake. Wrap it around the cake and secure with tape. I used two types of ribbon here, and just secured them together before putting them on the cake.
- Tint a small amount of frosting black with black icing gel and spoon into a decorating bag fitted with a #18 tip. Pipe a black border around the bottom of the cake.
- The cake pictured here was made for a local auction, so I just used some scrapbook paper and the school logo to create a topper. If you like this idea, create your own topper with whatever papers/logos you like, tape some toothpicks to the pack, and voila! You've got a custom-made topper! If you'd like something more formal, try fresh flowers or a monogram cake topper. Either would be beautiful!
If you love to bake and decorate, then you are going to fall head over heels in love with Dessert Decor's cake and cupcake decorating supplies!
From adorable cake sets and cupcake wrappers to fun sprinkles and super cute packaging options, you will get lost in this online shop for hours!
It's a must-stop-shop for all things cake and cupcake, and you'll find yourself completely inspired. Happy Shopping!
If you like what you see on this page, please share it with your friends!
Links You Don't Want to Miss
[?] Subscribe To
Copyright© 2006-2014 by Passion-for-Parties.com. All rights reserved.