Buttercream Ruffle Cake
The soft, feminine texture of this buttercream ruffle cake, makes it the perfect choice for bridal showers, baby showers, or practically any
This was my first attempt at a ruffle cake, and for the most part, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
As far as appearance goes, I used my favorite buttercream recipe, but quickly realized that the frosting needed to be a little
"flowier." (I may have just made that word up, but you totally know what I mean, right)?
I think the next time I try this, I'll add more milk to the recipe to make it creamier and help it to flow and fold.
As far as taste goes, it was scrumptious!
I cheated and used a white cake mix, and tinted some of the batter pink and green. (I actually used 2 cake mixes to create a three-layer cake).
It created really pretty slices of cake, and everyone was very impressed. (See how the inside turned out in the pics below).
How to Make this Buttercream Ruffle Cake
Buttercream Ruffle Cake Instructions:
- Place the first layer of the 8-inch cake on the cake stand of your choice. Spread an even layer of frosting on top of the cake; top with the second cake layer. Repeat with frosting and
top with the third layer.
- Apply a crumb coat to the entire cake. This is simply a thin layer of frosting that blocks the cake crumbs from appearing in your finished
cake design. Spread the frosting along the sides of the cake and then the top, trying to keep it as smooth and even as possible. The frosting will be thin in
spots...that okay. Let the frosting set for about 15 minutes.
- Press a long wooden skewer into the sides of the cake to create evenly spaced guidelines for your ruffles.
- Tint the remaining frosting with the color of your choice. Fill a decorating bag fitted with a #104 tip. Working from bottom to top,
use a zig-zag motion to create ruffles, being sure to keep the fat side of the tip against the cake. Continue all the way around the cake.
- Use the same technique to frost the top of the cake, starting in the center and working your way outward to the edges.
- Voila! You've just created a buttercream ruffle cake!
If you like what you see on this page, please share it with your friends!
Links You Don't Want to Miss