Devil Dog Recipe
This delicious devil dog recipe yields moist mini-chocolate cakes, loaded with a creamy filling and sprinkled with powdered sugar. YUM!
I had never even heard of a devil dog until I met my husband. I'd listened to his stories about these amazing little treats that his mom always used to make him
when he was growing up, so I decided to surprise him and make him a batch.
I found a knock-off recipe for Drake's Devil Dogs on the internet and spent the afternoon whipping some up for my hubby. He was thrilled...but they just weren't the same
as his mom used to make.
So, I contacted my mother-in-law for her "secret" recipe and was fortunate enough to have her share it with me.
I now make this devil dog recipe for special occasions for my sweet guy, and always make sure to make a double-batch because it turns out that not only he, but everyone
loves these little things!
I'm now passing this "secret" recipe on to you for you to enjoy...but shhh...let's just keep it between us!
Note: It was brought to my attention that I left the "wet" ingredients off of the ingredients list. The error has been corrected, and I apologize for any
inconvenience this may have caused.
For this Devil Dog Recipe You'll Need:
For the cakes:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Hershey cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar
- In a small bowl combine 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup Hershey cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon
Stir until well blended.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup shortening, 1 cup milk, and 1 egg. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and blend until smooth.
- Drop by teaspoonful, two inches apart, on a non-stick cookie sheet. Place in a pre-heated, 400 degree oven.
Bake about 8 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
- Remove from cookie sheet and place on wire racks to cool. Let cool completely before adding cream filling.
- To make cream filling: In a bowl combine 1/3 cup evaporated milk, 2/3 cup shortening, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat
5 minutes with an electric mixer, or until very creamy.
- To assemble Devil Dogs: Spread the cream filling the bottom side of a cake; top with another cake.
Dust with powdered sugar. Now, wrap up a couple for yourself and hide them...otherwise you may not get one!
A note from the party girl: Okay, I'm not a Pampered Chef distributor or anything, but I've got to give credit where credit is due. I just absolutely love
the Pampered Chef Measure-All and the Pampered Chef Sugar Shaker, and I use them ALWAYS when making this devil dog recipe (and actually many other things).
If it's in your budget, I recommend checking out these two items...they are kitchen staples at my house, and are great to have on hand when making devil dogs!
If you like what you see on this page, please share it with your friends!
Links You Don't Want to Miss