Ladybug Birthday Cake
This ladybug birthday cake is cute as a bug!
It was originally designed for a baby shower, but it would be an absolutely adorable design for a first birthday cake or a bug
theme party. You can easily change the color scheme to match your theme.
How to Make a Ladybug Cake
You will need:
- One 10" round cake, leveled
- Two batches of buttercream frosting
- Decorating bags and tips #3, #5, #16, #67, #224 (I used two #3 and two #16 for this cake)
- Icing coloring pastes in rose petal pink and willow green (sold in the pastel coloring kit),
- Place about 1/3 of the frosting in a bowl and tint very lightly with willow green icing coloring paste. Evenly spread the frosting on
the side of the cake.
- Spread an even layer of white frosting on the top of the cake.
- Using circle shapes as your guide (I used tupperware bowls), use a toothpick to draw the outline of a ladybug onto the top of the cake.
- Fill a decorating bag with the remaining green frosting, mixing more if necessary, and fit with the #16 cake decorating tip. Pipe green stars
to fill in the head and body of the ladybug.
- Tint a very small portion of the frosting black. Use the #5 tip to pipe the circles on the wings, and to pipe antennae onto the ladybug.
- Tint about 2/3 cup of the remaining frosting pink with a small amount of the rose petal pink icing coloring paste.
Pipe #16 stars to fill in the wings. Change the tip to the #3 tip and pipe a birthday message and a "buzz trail" behind the bug.
- Spoon the remaining white frosting into a decorating bag fitted with the #224 tip. Pipe flowers along the top and bottom edges of the cake.
Change the tip to the #3 tip and pipe the circles in the wings and to pipe random polka dots on the sides of the cake.
- Use the remaining frosting in the pink bag fitted with a #3 tip to pipe centers on the flowers along the top edge of the cake, and to pipe random
polka dots on the side of the cake.
- Change the tip on the green frosting bag to the #67 tip. Pipe a leaf border around the inside edge of the flowers along the top of the cake.
- Show off your ladybug birthday cake!
Ladybug Cake Pan
Another option for making a ladybug birthday cake is to use a ladybug cake pan
When you bake your cake, the designs from your pan will be embedded in the cake.
To decorate, all you'll need to do is color in the design with frosting and you're all set to go!
Ladybug Party Supplies
Celebrate Express has a really great selection of ladybug party supplies that would be the perfect compliment to your ladybug cake! Take a look at what they have
to offer here:
If you like what you see on this page, please share it with your friends!
Links You Don't Want to Miss