Modern Monogram Cake
For my mom's 60th birthday I made her this vibrant orange and white monogram cake.
She's a fun loving, spunky lady and the typical black and gray "over the hill" birthday party just wasn't going to cut it!
In the end, bright, fun colors won out, and this design was the end result.
It's simple but stylish...boasting a "less is more" attitude!
The cake itself was an amazing, decadent, moist chocolate cake that was absolutely to die for. Get the recipe here.
To learn how to decorate a cake like this one, take a peek below.
How to Make This Monogram Cake
- Place an 8" cake on the 8" foil-covered cake board. Smooth white buttercream on the top. (I use an angled spatula
for easy spreading). Center the second 8" cake on top.
- Tint about half of the remaining buttercream orange. Spread an even layer of orange frosting over the top of the cake, making it as smooth as
possible. Frost the side of the cake next, trying to keep it nice and smooth. Let set for about 5 minutes.
- Press a Viva paper towel against the frosted areas of the cake and use your hand to smooth out any imperfections.
- Repeat the process with the 6" cake and white frosting.
- Add some white buttercream to a decorating bag fitted with the #3 tip. Pipe swirly scroll designs over the orange cake.
- Insert dowel rods into the 8" inch cake. For instructions on using dowel rods, click here.
- Center the 6" cake on top of the 8" cake.
- Spoon some of the remaining orange frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a number 5 tip. Pipe the initial on the front of the 6" cake, along
with a circle to go around it. (Hint: I drew a circle on a piece of paper, then traced it with a toothpick into the frosting to use as a guideline. I also sketched
the inital in the center of the circle with the toothpick).
- Change the tip on the orange decorating bag to the #47 tip. Pipe a line around the circumference of the cake from one side of the monogram to the
- Change the tip on the white decorating bag to the #18 tip. Pipe stars all over the top of the 6" cake.
- Move the cake onto a serving plate or cake plate. Pipe a white border around the bottom of each cake layer. Top with orange candles.
Some Items You Might Like to Go With Your Monogram Cake
If you like what you see on this page, please share it with your friends!
Links You Don't Want to Miss