Southwestern Egg Rolls
If you're looking for a unique appetizer that packs a flavorful punch, these Southwestern Egg Rolls are just the thing!
I found the recipe for these one day while searching MyRecipes.com, and decided to give it a try. The response that these tasty treats evoked was phenomenal, so
I decided to pass the recipe on to you.
They'd be perfect to serve at a Cinco de Mayo or Fiesta party.
They take a little time to put together, but I promise you, they are worth it!
How to Make Southwestern Egg Rolls
- 1 (5-oz) package yellow rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground sausage (use hot sausage if you want more kick)
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-oz) can Rotel (Mexican-style diced tomatoes), undrained
- 2 cups (8-oz) shredded Montery Jack cheese
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 28 egg roll wrappers
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups peanut oil
- Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
A Note from the Cook: This is supposed to be served with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce, which I made the first time I served these. What I discovered is that
hardly anyone used it, so the next time I made them I served them instead with a little bit of ranch dressing (for those who just have to have a dipping sauce.
Instructions for Southwestern Egg Rolls:
- Cook rice according to package directions, using 1 teaspoon salt. Cool completely.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well. Let cool
- Stir together rice, sausage, black beans, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon about 1/3 cup rice mixture in center of each egg roll wrapper.
- Fold top corner of wrapper over filling, tucking tip of corner under filling; fold left and right corners over filling. Lightly brush remaining
corner with egg; tightly roll filled end toward the remaining corner, and gently press to seal.
- Pour oil into heavy Dutch oven' heat to 375°. Fry egg rolls, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on wire rack over paper towels.
Garnish, with cilantro, if desired.
Yield: 28 Southwestern egg rolls.
If you like what you see on this page, please share it with your friends!
Links You Don't Want to Miss